In this world, everyone is in search of an inspiring story. It is worthy as stories have become the reason for millions of people’s success. Now, you shouldn’t need to forget that full stories were covered as a biography or as an autobiography, biography vs autobiography.
Although, many peoples still get confused in distinguishing between the both. Well! Here we have the best explanation that would define the differences between a biography and an autobiography.
Simply, a biography is a story of a person’s life, written by someone else. An autobiography is the life story of an individual which is written by the subject itself.
Let you see below what really a biography and an autobiography are. After that, you can differentiate between biography and autobiography very easily.
What is a Biography?
A biography also called a bio is an account of a person’s life written by someone other than the subject of the topic.
Because the author is someone other, the biographies are written in the third person. A biography can be written anytime. But it is mostly written later in life.
A biography contains the whole time period of the subject’s life, including their birth, early life, education, career, personal life, and ultimately their great achievements.
The motive of writing a biography is to let other peoples experience the subject’s life and whatever he has done till today.
The main difference between a biography and an autobiography is the authorship and point of view. A biography gives an indirect experience to the subject’s life whilst an autobiography gives a direct experience to the readers.
Moreover, a biography is written based on research, external information, sources, or even copying the autobiography.
Some of the great examples of biography
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
- Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts
What is an Autobiography?
An autobiography also called an autobio is an account of a person’s life written by the subject itself. As the authors are the subject here, the autobiographies are written in the first person.
An autobiography is mainly written at the end of the author’s life as he has to cover everything from his life.
The motive of writing an autobiography is the same as to experience the people about the author’s life. But here the reader experiences something different from a biography. An autobiography contains true emotions and feelings that memorize the author’s life very closely.
An autobiography contains the same contents a biography has. But it also depends on the time periods which is when the biography or the autobiography is being written. However, some of the common contents the both contain are their childhood, education, family, career, and achievements.
Some of the great examples of an autobiography
- The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin
- Long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela
- The Diary of a young girl by Anne Frank
What is the Difference Between a Biography and an Autobiography?
Above we saw what is a biography and what is an autobiography. But many peoples are still confused about their differences. It’s random as it is confusing. Well! Below we have covered the major differences between a biography and an autobiography.
- A biography is written by someone other’s rather than the subject.
- As the author is someone another, the biographies are written in the third person.
- A biography is an objective.
- Presents and past information of the subject’s life collected by researches and different sources.
- The biography does not contain the subject’s thoughts and feelings.
- A biography can be written anytime.
- An autobiography is written by the subject itself.
- As the author is the subject here, the autobiographies are written in the first person.
- An autobiography is subjective.
- Presents and pasts information don’t need to be collected as they were experienced by the author.
- An autobiography offers access to the personal thoughts and feelings of the author.
- An autobiography is mostly written at the end of the author’s life.
The Bottom Line
I hope you are now able to distinguish between a biography and an autobiography in easy language. But I would like to tell you it’s a very important difference that shouldn’t be ignored. A biography is written by someone else than the subjects. Whilst, an autobiography is written by the subject itself.
Read the biography of Lorca Cohen and experience how to write it.
This is one of the major differences between a biography and an autobiography. Let you read few biographies here and experience how to write a biography.