Sherrill Redmon (born in 1943) is a former Businesswoman and a Journalist. She is best known as the first and ex-wife of Republican Senator, Mitch McConnell.
In this article, we learn about Sherrill Redmon, her age, early life, career, net worth and life story and some facts related to her.
Who is Sherrill Redmon?
Sherrill, Mitch McConnel’s first wife, has, indeed, fulfilled these expectations. In addition, she is a strong feminist, creating a profound legacy, and significant precedent for many.
Sherrill Redmon’s Early Life
Sherrill Redmon was born on February 6, 1943, in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. Sherrill Redmon holds an American nationality and is of white descent.
Sherrill Redmon attended Seneca High School.
Upon matriculation, she enrolled at the University of Louisville and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1965.
Later, she attended the University of Kentucky and received a Doctor of Philosophy, Ph.D. in 1974.
Sherrill Redmon’s Age
Sherrill Redmon was born in 1943, she is currently 80 years old as of 2023.
Sherrill Redmon’s Parents
Sherrill Redmon was born to (father) Charles Redman, a businessman, and (mother) Doris Redman, a piano teacher.
Sherrill Redmon’s Ex-husband
Sherrill Redmon was the first wife of Kentucky Senator, Mitch McConnell. The duo tied the knot in 1968.
In 1980, after years of marital back and forth, Sherrill Redmon and Mitch McConnell divorced.
Mitch McConnell married United States Secretary of Transportation, Elaine Chao, on February 6, 1993.
Sherrill Redmon’s Children
Sherrill Redmon and her husband, Mitch McConnell had three children before their separation. They are; Elly McConnell, Porter McConnell, and Claire McConnell.
Sherrill Redmon’s Career
Sherrill Redmon became a feminist scholar at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, and became the director of the Sophia Smith Collection of the Women’s History Archives, in 1993.
While at Smith College, she worked to expand the Collection to make it more racially and culturally diverse. She also worked with well-known journalist and feminist, Gloria Steinem, on an oral history project called Voices of Feminism.
Sherrill Redmon And Mitch McConnell’s Relationship
Sherrill Redmon is the first wife of Mitch McConnell. The two met in 1962 when they were studying at the University of Louisville and started dating after half a year.
They married in 1968 and had three children: Elly McConnel (1972), Porter McConnel (1976), and Claire McConnell (1979).
Ten years after their marriage, Mitch McConnel became the Judge of Jefferson County, which meant he spent most of his time away from home.
The couple’s separation in 1980 confused many people as they have never stated the primary reason behind their divorce.
This was one year after Clair McConnel’s birth. Mitch McConnel later married Elaine Chao.
Life after divorce Sherrill was only recognized as a housewife during her marriage, taking care of her children and working at the Archives and Records Centre.
After divorcing McConnel in 1980, Sherrill Redmon became a feminist at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts.
On top of this, she later became the Sophia Smith Collection of the Women’s History Archives director in 1983.
Retirement And Legacy
Sherrill Redmon worked for the Sophia Smith Collection for nineteen years and left on August 31, 2012.
She did a fantastic job for the organization and left it transformed and massively improved.
She did her best to address the imbalance in the Collection, which was primarily dominated by the works of white women.
Most of these women were from the northeastern United States of America.
Sherrill’s improvement in the Sophia Smith Collection allowed underrepresented women to place their work with the organization.
Today, these new collections are incredible resources for people from different backgrounds.
Sherrill Redmon Interests
Sherrill loves reading books, and some of her favorite writers include Edgar Allan Po and Franz Kafka.
Her most treasured books are The Trial, In The Penal Colony, and A Hunger Artist.
Sherrill also loves entertainment, more so watching movies and television series.
Another of her favorite tasks is fighting for human rights and equality for men and women.
Her philanthropic efforts have seen her donate money to charity organizations, including animal shelters.
Although Sherrill Redmon gained recognition for being Mitch McConnel’s wife and now ex-wife, she has built her path.
Her remarkable journey after divorce to become one of the most respected human rights activists and feminists is impressive.
Sherrill Redmon Facts to Know
- Sherrill Redmon was born on February 6, 1943, in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. She is currently 80 years old as of 2023.
- She attended Seneca High School and later pursued higher education at the University of Louisville, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1965.
- Sherrill Redmon continued her academic journey and obtained a Ph.D. from the University of Kentucky in 1974.
- She was born to Charles Redman, a businessman, and Doris Redman, a piano teacher.
- Sherrill Redmon was the first wife of Mitch McConnell, the Republican Senator from Kentucky. They married in 1968 and had three children together: Elly McConnell, Porter McConnell, and Claire McConnell.
- The couple divorced in 1980, after which Mitch McConnell married Elaine Chao, who later became the United States Secretary of Transportation.
- After her divorce from McConnell, Sherrill Redmon pursued a career in feminist scholarship and activism. She worked at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, where she became the director of the Sophia Smith Collection of the Women’s History Archives in 1993.
- During her time at Smith College, Sherrill Redmon worked to diversify the Sophia Smith Collection, making it more inclusive of contributions from women of different racial and cultural backgrounds.
- She collaborated with prominent journalist and feminist Gloria Steinem on an oral history project called “Voices of Feminism.”
- Sherrill Redmon retired from her role at the Sophia Smith Collection in 2012 after dedicating 19 years to the organization.
- Her work and efforts have had a lasting impact on promoting gender equality and preserving the history of women’s contributions to various fields.
- Sherrill Redmon has diverse interests, including a love for literature. She enjoys reading books by authors like Edgar Allan Poe and Franz Kafka, with her favorite books being The Trial, In The Penal Colony, and A Hunger Artist.
So this is all you need to know about Sherrill Redmon. Thank you for reading this article. Hope you got to know all about her.
So do add your thoughts or opinions or any other interesting details about Sherrill Redmon and write them down in the comments section below.